Monday, December 17, 2007

The Others

Rating: 9.2/10
Genre: Horror
Overall value for money and time: 9.6/10

There has been many critiques comparing this movie with "The Sixth Sense". Most have been in favor of the later. Not me. This film is superior to "The Sixth Sense". Good built up of the story and even before watching the movie, I heard comments about how shocking the ending was. Throughout the movie, I kept thinking of all the possibilities. When it was time for the grand finale, I was utterly blown away. I thought I had it all figured out, apparently, none of the "all possibilities" fitted the genuinely mind blowing ending I encountered. This movie has one of the best endings ever! It's on par with "SAW" and "Identity". Movies like "The Recruit", "Skeleton Key", "Mindhunters", "The Sixth Sense", "Seven", "The Game" and "Ocean's Eleven" all had great and unpredictable endings, but none as astounding as this. Top rated classic movie which came out at the wrong time... In Singapore, it was shown in theatres only after "The Sixth Sense", therefore it didn't gained that much appreciation as it should have. Though this movie came out a long time ago, I wish to revive it, hoping that it would find a place in your heart as one of the best movies ever produced like it did for me. I can still remember the night after the movie, my friends and I were trying so hard to find loopholes in the movie but each and every scene was so perfectly thought of that it was flawless, patching up to the ultimate ending. Even with taglines for "Seven" which boasted how great a ending it had; I remembered I saw a poster once which said something like "Shh, don't tell the ending to your friends", yet it wasn't as impacting as this movie. This movie is about a mother who lives in a house with her 2 children who cannot be exposed to sunshine. One day she realises that her house is haunted and tries to find the truth behind it all. This is one movie that will stay close in your heart for a long time. The best thing about this movie is that despite being a horror movie, it doesnt give you nightmares or bad afterflashes of horrible images.

No comments: