Friday, December 21, 2007

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset Duology

Overall rating: 8.1/10
Genre: Romance
Overall value for money and time: 8.0/10

This duology is like good wine. Upon first sampling, it tastes ordinary, might not even appeal to some. However, overtime, it leaves a reminiscing aftertaste. I didn't watch this duology in order, I watched "Before Sunset" first which came out on a later date than "Before Sunrise". In other words, I watched part 2 before part 1. I had recieved complimentary tickets to the screening of "Before Sunset" and during the movie, I was thinking to myself "What the heck is this movie trying to show?". Even after the movie, I came out feeling... "Cheated". A few days later, strangely enough, it keeps lingering in my mind. It almost feels like a one-scene movie, without any cuts. The camera always focuses on a man and a woman talking to each other, who have not met for a long time. The setting is in France, not sure where though. It's kinda neither here nor there, but upon careful listening to their conversation, the missing pieces start patching up. Wittingly done, and a effort well done I must say. I don't want to say much about the plot, because basically, it's a very simple plot, and too much of it will spoil the beauty of this duology. Bottomline is, this duology is all about them, the "before" and the "after" chance encounters. Their conversation feels "raw", honest, and unscripted, with occasional humour in them. You will never have the chance to experience such a different kind of shooting technique or cinematography should you decide to give this movie a miss. While you might not be used to the movie initially, you will learn to appreciate it overtime... A great experience of romance!!

No comments: