Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The Devil's Rejects Duology

Overall rating: 5.2/10
Genre: Slasher
Overall value for money and time: 4.5/10

1. House of 1000 Corpses

Caught this movie after watching it's sequel just to complete this critique and I must tell you, this movie is just plain disappointing. The rating above only applies for "The Devil's Rejects". Since I've already rated it, I do not want to mark down the rating. If you must know, this movie only gives a 3.0/10 rating due to the ridiculous cinematography and boring plot. One might be misleaded to see close to a 1000 corpses in this movie but all it showed was that the house was used to torture about 20 victims or so. Downright dull and predictable plot with bad casting and almost unconvincing acting. The victims are not able to create emphathy due to their lack of acting skills and you just can't help but think to youself "Hurry up, get over with it and just die." Cinematography wise, it's almost similar to "House of the Dead", where weird and irritating flashes of distracting scenes appear throughout the movie, which was redundant and gives a cheap production feel. This movie just goes to show how lame and dumb Rob Zombie movies are and gives me a second thought to watching his latest horror movie "Halloween". In this movie, 2 teenage couples go on a trip to write a book about roadside attractions and ended up as victims to the infamous Dr. Satan's family.

2. The Devil's Rejects

This movie is a sequel to the "House of 1000 Corpses". Not knowing what it was since I didn't watch the first installment, I jumped into a cinema with my friends after catching a glimpse of the poster. I was flabbergastered! I had never seen anything like this movie in my life before. That's lots of gore, vulgarities, sick rape and nudity, and the worst thing of all... This movie portrays the 3 pyschos to be the "heroes" of the movie. The whole movie is all about them. Even the ending was grand... not the "heroes" kinda of grand but the "villians" kinda grand. It left me speechless when the credits came up. I hated that movie. However, after thinking back on it, I saw it from a different point of view. I still dislike that movie, but not to the extend of hating it. Well, you never get movies showing how "great" the bad guys are. I have to give the director credit for his bold attempt to break that barrier. It isn't that bad a movie, just one that's "yin", to my "yang".

No comments: