Friday, December 21, 2007

Lust Caution

Rating: 7.4/10
Genre: Suspense
Overall value for money and time: 7.5/10

There was a big hooha when this movie had finished production and was about to be screened. Censorship, bans, etc. However, it didn't appeal that much to me despite the much talked about sex scenes. However, since watching Golden Horse Awards, where it won the Best Motion Picture Award, I thought I'll have a go at it. I didn't manage to watch the uncensored version though, but I believe the cut scenes will not affect much of the storyline. Overall, it wasn't that fantastic. Greatly overrated, I thought this was just your average chinese movie. Classic chinese movies like "Infernal Affairs" was so much better than this. I don't know much of Director Ang Lee's movies, all I know of is "Hulk" and "Brokeback Mountain". Though "Brokeback Mountain" was also one of his great works, I didn't get the chance to see it. I liked "Hulk" though. I don't think one would miss much if he foregoes this movie, but the cut scenes might enhance the value of this movie though. The movie revolves around a group of patriotic students who plot to assasinate a spy for their country. Hence, they try to get close to his family where an unexpected love affair evolves. A movie with loads of dialogue and not much action in it. So, if you're one who gets bored easily by this kind of movies, I suggest you give this movie a miss. However, if you would like to broaden your horizon of perceptions, then this movie is the one for you.

No comments: