Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dogville

Ratings: 9.3/10
Film Class: B-
Genre: Drama

Wow... Wow... Wow... I haven't seen such an abtract movie for a long long time. It wasn't like Watchmen or Inception, where apart from storyline, the CG played an important role. Wasn't like Unknown, where the biggest twist in the plot overshadowed everything else. Wasn't like Black Swan, artistic yet dark. Dogville is in its own league. Nothing like I have ever seen before. I was put off by the movie title and the poster, as well as the 178 mins runtime. I have lost count of how many times I've picked this movie up at a local video store but never went past the stage of watching it... until now. I can hardly forgive myself for missing this 8-year-old movie gem.

A beautiful fugitive (Nichole Kidman) on the run from the mob seeks refuge in a small town called Dogville. With only 2 weeks to gain acceptance from the townfolks, she opens herself up to the locals and gradually plays an important role in their lives.

The setting is unlike what I've ever seen. It's like watching a live play on the big screens. No elaborate CG, no elaborate props, just a simple concept of chalk lines and spare scenery. The entire movie takes place in a studio-like place with an open concept. The narrative is the most profound yet which dominated the majority of the movie. It was like an abstract novel, being read out by a professional bookreader and the characters simply came to life in your mind.

Beautiful language of narration, provocative study on human sociology and an unsettling view on human psychology. It would be an understatement to say how emotionally disturbed I was, there was such a twisted storyline it was repugnantly tormenting to carry on watching. Thankfully, I managed to see through to the end and the ending was satisfyingly fitting. That's as much as I will disclose for this movie. Take my word for it, this movie will open your mind in every possible manner thinkable. Controversial director Lars von Tier has earned his way to my list of favourite directors with this deeply haunting movie on humanity.

No comments: