Monday, February 10, 2014

The Lego Movie

Ratings: 6.2/10
Film Class: B
Genre: Family Animation

*sings* "Everything is awesomeeeeee"... Catchy theme song, but maybe not so for the movie. Too many cut scenes, rough transitions, kinda felt like a one-liner standup comedy glued together.

It's funny, yeah, at times, but mostly not, and it's way too "forced" for me. Think slapstick animation, and you'll get there. The first for me though, never knew such a genre exists. It's a bit of a copy from Spongebob Squarepants Movie, if you have watched the former, you'll know what I mean, a scene which makes Spongebob different from the rest of the animations. 

The Lego Movie is about your average Joe, or Emmet (the main lead's name in the movie) who's an ordinary construction guy (minifig to be exact) mistaken to be a master builder destined to change the Lego World. The evil villain Lord Business wants to use the "Kraken" on all minifigs... For whatever reason I don't quite understand. In fact, I shut off during the movie, not necessarily a bad thing, but which meant I only managed to get the gist of the story, not the details... Like why this why that, the logical aspect of things that is... 

*spoilers ahead* It's quite touching at the end, with an unexpected moral of the story to be told (the family-bonding part, not the everyone-is-special part), but it kept missing my "hot button"... As how batman tried to hit it in the movie which he eventually did, but not for me. 

The movie leaned towards the lame side for me (the "KuKu Land nailed it"), sorry to be such a wet brick-et for Lego fans out there, and sorry for not appreciating it, as sorry as I am for myself for having to sit through the movie thinking it would have glued me to my seats. 

Bringing in special guests such as Superman, Wonderwoman, Green Lantern, Abraham Lincoln, the Star Wars Gang, even Shaquille O' Neal totally added no value to the plot, while the obvious intention is to excite its audience, the excitement was shortlived. So instead, it was such an overload of cameos it diminished the wow factor which cameos normally help enhance.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, rainbows, spaceships, nebula black holes, pirate ships... Wait a min, there were all in the movie! It was off the charts disjointed, but wasn't that surprising taking into account the background of the cameos.

If I were to sum it up, like Morgan Freeman says it best at the start of the movie... "Oh my eyessss!!"

No comments: