Sunday, February 6, 2011

The King's Speech

Ratings: 8.0/10
Film Class: B
Genre: Drama

I was pleasantly surprised with the way the movie turned out. I hadn't read the sypnosis, nor was I ever a fan of movies of such times... but this movie proved to be educationally beautiful. Based solely on the title, this movie is definitely about the King's speech, more specifically, King George the VI's speech. I shan't disclose what the movie is about, because I'm positively sure you'll welcome the surprise like I did.

The opening sequence stunned me... for it featured Colin Firth (the male protagonist) walking up to do a speech on the King's behalf. I was thinking to myself, wow... that's fast... how was the story supposed to proceed from there? After that scene, though predictable, it still brought out not just the performances of the fantastic cast, but also the struggles of the highly unheard-of King of our time... I only heard of Hitler, Stalin and Winston Churchill... but King George the VI? Welcome to a moving history lesson on Britain during World War II.

Cinematography was brillant, cast and script were aptly outstanding and story development was engaging. Despite it being a dialogue driven movie, there's a very high chance it won't put to sleep a typically exhausted working adult. Might not work for the kids though.

No comments: