Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Unknown

Ratings: 9.0/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Action Thriller

I wouldn't do this movie justice if I were to let its review pass just because of my busy schedule. That's because it's THAT good. I love suspense thrillers, and with a good load of action, it makes the perfect combi for a movie treat. On top of that, any movie with unpredictable twists naturally wins popcorn votes from me... and in terms of plot twists, Unknown is one of the reigning champs.

The husband of a happily married couple is involved in an accident and wakes up to find his identity being stolen. Teaming with a lady acquaintance, he sets out to uncover the puzzling predicament of his stolen identity. Great care has been exercised not just from my side but from imdb's and the movie's tagline's sides to preserve the ingenuity of the storyline and the plot development.

I shall break my own rules about not disclosing any spoilers in this movie, even though all these while I've always added spoiler alerts for high rating movies so that I could account for the ratings. I believe that there are certainly readers out there who would rather just spend 2 mins reading this review as opposed to using up 2 hours of his/her time to really appreciate this movie. Trust me, it's worth it.

Easily one of the best movie twists in all the movies I've watched and it's ingenuity was astounding. I didn't expect that much from this movie since everyone prolly sterotyped Unknown to be another Taken, and all that talk about Liam Neeson being defensive insead of offensive in this movie seems so insignificant now that I've caught the movie. It's true to some extend, but this movie beats Taken hands down in terms of storyline.

Action wise prolly not, since he isn't invincible in this movie, but keeping his cool flair as always, he was able to bring out the more defenceless and humane side of him. I kept playing back the movie in my mind over and over again, hoping to find major loopholes but was finally convinced that the director had all of them covered. While not entirely realistic, everything just fell perfectly, yes let me repeat that, PERFECTLY into place towards the end of the movie.

If you've had great respect for movies with unpredictable twists such as The Others, than you'll appreciate Unknown just as much. It makes Salt look amateurish, refreshing with the twist in a twist in a twist concept but Unknown has made it clear to all that it's not the quantity, but the quality that truly makes a movie. Easily one of the best movies of all time for me.

No comments: