Saturday, February 6, 2010

Persepolis

Rating: 6.8/10
Genre: Animation
Overall value for money and time: 6.5/10

This almost entirely black and white animation follows an Iranian girl as she goes through the harshest moments in her life - the fall of the Iranian Shah and the rise of the Iranian Revolution. However, the promise of a better life turned into a nightmare as the country gradually breeds its own tyranny. Forced to go abroad to seek a better life, she slowly finds herself sinking deeper and deeper into despair.

I thought the lines in the movie were of considerable substance and the story progression was unraveling. However, overall, this movie didn't appeal that much to me, was a wee bit overrated. True, it tells a different and dark side of Iranian's story, history, but the turn of events for the young girl's life was too extreme for me.

I love the voice over for the supporting characters, but not the lead herself. Since this movie is originally french, and the version I watched was english dubbed, I can only critique it biasedly in this aspect as I probably won't give this animation a 2nd viewing. This animation is a dark, solemn one and it does leave a rather shallow mark in my list of memorable animations...

No comments: