Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Lovely Bones

Rating: 7.6/10
Genre: Drama
Overall value for money and time: 8.0/10

A young girl was murdered and watches over her family from the in-between of heaven and earth. She must tie the "loose" ends before finally moving on...

Mark Wahlberg was cast as Susie Salmon's (the young girl who was murdered) father and Rachel Weisz as her mother. I didn't quite like the casting of Mark Wahlberg because I felt he didn't have the "look" of a loving and despaired father, for he fits more of a role in an action packed movie. Rachel Weisz on the other was perfect in every sense.

I love the narration-style of the movie and it really creates this sense of wanting to know more, to better understand Susie's character as the movie progressed. It hit a peak at the start, but just like Up In The Air, it went downhill in the later part of the movie. It got a little "messy" and too "fantasy" like which gave me the feeling of a "split personality" for the movie. It didn't synch well and it felt almost like 2 separate movies in all. I'm not sure if it's the way the novel (or yah, did I forget to mention it's based on a novel?) portrayed it or was it due to the direction's differential interpretation of the story.

Still, the highlight of the movie, though it should be the serenity of the storyline, but it was not, was the lead actress herself... Susie Salmon. She took my breath away, in every sense imaginable. It was such a delight to see her throughout the movie and she really did have the "heavenly" look and feel about her. In all subjectivity, I think she was what "made" this film. Without her, I don't think this movie would have been as good as it is. This movie would probably pave the way for her movie career, though she acted in Atonement she wasn't given the opportunity to showcase her talent, and I certainly hope so because I'm so looking forward to seeing more of her in future. Definitely the next best young star since Dakota Fanning!!

No comments: