Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Invention of Lying

Rating: 7.7/10
Genre: Comedy
Overall value for money and time: 8.2/10

It's hard to pull off a story about a hypothetical world where everyone tells the truth... until... as the movie title suggests, some "loser" guy invented, lying. Still, the director did pull it off in more ways than one and I must say, it was indeed an eye-opening experience.

I love the wittiness of the plot and how everyone spoke the truth, from direct insults to directly verbalizing their desires. It was comedy on a whole different level, for in most cases, the comedy is created from the story, but in this case, the story creates the comedy.

*spoilers ahead* I couldn't see where the story would lead to ultimately, for I thought it would be one where everyone starts "taking up" lying and balancing the hypothetical world, thus resulting in our modern age. However, it didn't quite turn out the way I had imagined and the main gist of the movie, it seems, had a little twist to it... The focus wasn't on lying in a world where no one could, but about how "shallow" we all are and how most of the time, our consciousness is in constant conflict with our sub consciousness. It reminded me of another movie, Shallow Hal.

I highly recommend this movie for the novelty of its plot and it's different perspective on what "lying" can really accomplish. I would be lying to you if I said it's just your average comedy movie because it packs more meaning, more laughs and more satisfaction than most others!

No comments: