Thursday, October 10, 2013

Amour

Ratings: 6.5/10
Film Class: C
Genre: Drama

Amour speaks nothing of love... it's dreary, tragic and possibly one of the most undeserving winner of the Oscars - Winner of Best Foreign Language Film of The Year 2013. It got me thinking, is this year's nominees that bad? I haven't been disappointed so far, Life is Beautiful; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; The Lives of Others and Departures were a few of the many winners which left me wanting more. 

When this film ended, I kinda felt that I wasted my time watching it. I was so excited to finally buy it from my local dvd store but now it almost feels like a waste of money. It wasn't ttthhhhaaatttt bad, but it fell flat on my expectations. Even Intouchables could easily beat this (Golden Globe Nominee, a different award)... 

An elderly's couple love is put to the test when the wife comes down with a stroke which paralyses one side of her body. As time goes by, her physical and mental health deteriorates, leaving her dispaired husband having to carry the burden of a promise he made to her all by himself... that he would not send her to a nursing home no matter what happens.

That's what happens when promises are made too readily, kept too blindly... leading to an inevitable tragedy... The twist in the ending happened too abruptly, and I felt the build up of empathy lacking. Before I could even bask in their love for each other, I was repeatedly thrown with scenes of melancholy. 

When it comes to an elderly's couple love, none can beat the one portrayed in Away From Her. It was a movie that till this day resonates in my heart, and mind. Amour, on the other hand is not only a "weaker" version, but also one which is highly forgettable. It almost feels like a documentary, illustrating the harsh reality of life. 

If I had wanted to watch something as tragic as this, I might as well suffocate myself with a pillow. At least I wouldn't have to sit through 2hrs of "torture". There is no silver lining, because the only clouds are overcast ones... The posters however, might just be the rainbow that this movie needs (I love how 2 versions of the posters portrays 2 different angles of the same shot). 

No comments: