Saturday, July 6, 2013

Despicable Me 2

Ratings: 5.5/10
Film Class: A
Genre: Animation Comedy

Villian-turned hero Gru is recruited by the Anti-Villian League (AVL) to stop a new anonymous supervillian who stole an evil turning serum from a secret laboratory in the Arctics. It's up to Gru and his new AVL partner to uncover the identity of this supervillain and his true intentions. 

For you blind fans out there who's probably cursing me cos of the extremely low ratings, hear me out objectively. Despicable Me 2 has lost the focus of it's orginal intention. Even though Gru and his 3 little darling sweethearts are still in the movie, let's face it, this is a Minions movie. It has taken the same route as Ice Age, diverging the focus from the main leads, and has resulted in a complete different concoction of silly and childish humor. No doubt the minions are cute and entertaining to watch, but not when they take up close to 80% of the entire movie. Because of that, the director compromised on less build up for the other characters.  

I seriously didn't know what I was watching. And the most disappointing part was that the focus on the 3 little girls was pathetic, which really made it for me in part 1. The youngest girl was so cute she made my day with her cheek bobbles in the first movie, but the only thing I can remember for this sequel is the minions acting all spastic over and over again. 

Don't get me wrong, it was absolutely entertaining to watch the minions, but there was too much of them and because every situation or scene they were in was a guaranteed "stupid" moment, it became spastic overtime.  I'm perhaps too harsh with the adjective. To be blunt, it was too childish for me. The minions were being cute for the sake of being cute so pardon me for not appreciating this kind of humor. 

I found myself mildly laughing throughout the movie, with a good 2-3 really funny scenes, and though there was a decent plot with an impressive vibrance of colors to really liven up the screens, this animated sequel reminded me of the famous proverb "Too much of anything is good for nothing", and has glamously shed light on what it really means. 

I'm almost 100% positive that another sequel will be made, whether it's a Minions movie or a 3rd instalment of Despicable Me, it's going to be downhill from here on... sigh.

No comments: