Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted


Ratings: 7.5/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Animated Comedy, Family

When they announced Madagascar 3 was coming out, I was thinking to myself... not again. The first of its series was good, but I didn't like 2. And now 3? I thought the novelty would have died, just like the Ice Age series, and true enough, it was a little too cliché at the start. 

However, it accomplished what few animations did before (can't think of any at the top my head though, perhaps the first?)... it got better and better as the story progresses. The opening scene was a fast-paced introduction of the "old gang" of animals... the lion, the zebra, the giraffe, the hippo, the lemur and his right hand man, the penguins and the monkeys. 

There's no hidden Master Yoda in an old woman this time round, but there is a superbly nimble and resourceful, animal hunter, Captain Chantel DuBois. She deserves to be mentioned because she's a force to be reckoned with as she's the ultimate animated Homo Sapien villain you'll ever be acquainted with... opps.. perhaps I'm overdoing it a little. 

*spoilers ahead* I love the new animal additions, and when the new characters from the circus were introduced, they added color to the dulling characters. After which, it was a spectacle of eye-feasting visuals when they finally pulled off a successful circus performance. I'm sure the team behind the movie felt the same way as I did, and was glad they finally decided to end off the franchise with this final sequel (I'm assuming this) by making scene references to the the earlier movies. 

No comments: