Friday, November 23, 2012

Brave


Ratings: 6.5/10
Film Class: A
Genre: Animated Action

Had a high expectation of a Pixar film, and like most legacies, there's bound to be a couple of hiccups. Brave ranks as one of the bottom Pixar films. I didn't like the strong Scottish accent and I thought the storyline didn't have much link to the movie title. There's really nothing "Brave" about the cast or their actions. 

Princess Merida is the only heir to her kingdom, and her parents want her to get married (to one of the sons from the other kingdoms). However, she wants freedom to make her own path in life, and made  a pact with a witch. And the impulsive Princess soon realises the mistake she had done and must undo it before the next sunrise... 

Merida's unkempt orange hair felt like her test tube experiment went wrong, blew up and couldn't be bothered to comb her hair after that. The way she so impulsively made a pact with a witch she had never met and how unrepentant she initially was really got on my nerves. 

Perhaps one of the main reasons of me not liking the movie is because I simply didn't like the lead actress. Even at the end, I still didn't feel like I wanna be cheering her on. 

The saving grace of the movie was the last scene, which was quite touching and forced my eyes to well up a bit... possibly of all the built up dissatisfied sentiments I had during my viewing. There was a "cuteness" factor as well, reminiscence of Goldilocks. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next Pixar film is going to do justice to it's "legacy", if not I'll just say "Goodbye Pixar, Heelllooo.... Dreamworks!"

No comments: