Monday, August 13, 2012

The Bourne Legacy

Ratings: 7.7/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Action

The Bourne Legacy felt more like an "action movie" than an "action-packed movie". It's not a bad thing, especially for those who hated the action scenes of Bourne Ultimatum (part 3) which were shaky and fleeting... most of the time I recalled that I couldn't figure out what or where the action scenes were about amidst all that "flashing".

There's storyline, there's build-up, there's action, there's another Jason Bourne... Aaron Cross (Jeremy Renner). Though there were flashbacks of the story of Bourne, and several "cut and paste" scenes from the Trilogy, it would be better for its audience to watch/re-watch the previous few films before catching this one so that you'll be able to better piece the story together, and hence appreciate it more. 

There were lots which I had forgotten, and though my much-awaited meetup between the 2 leads (Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner) was not fulfilled, this sequel (or rather mi-quel? since the story is supposed to be happening concurrently with the first 3 films) left me wanting more yet again. I was sitting throughout the credits, hoping to catch a glimpse of any possible hints of a sequel, but was disappointed that there wasn't any. 

The ending was a little abrupt... the villians weren't that many and there weren't many fist-fights this time round. Recalled that the first few films always had a few professional "zai" assasins to hunt down Bourne... but there was only 1 for The Bourne Legacy. Like I said before, since it's the introduction of a new character, the focus was more on the story and his development. 

Unlike the rest, I felt this film was more emotionally intense. There were a lot of unseen buildup of suspense... similar to when you watch a horror movie, because you never know when Aaron Cross will get "crossed". 

*Spoilers ahead* There was a scene, reminiscence of a mass shooting, in the lab where Rachel Weisz was working at which was extremely disturbing. However, it wasn't really explained only by a few assumptions about the chemicals that the lab was working on in affecting the mad shooter's sanity. 

The last bike-chase action scene was one of the best I've seen, even though I was a little puzzled why Aaron Cross couldn't hold a gun in one hand and ride with the other hand... so that he was able to shoot down his adversary, considering he was so pro. But when I was told that most of the stuns in the movie was done by Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz... I decided not to "fault" the movie for such a trivial matter. 

The Bourne Legacy obviously lives on with this 4th instalment, and I really hope I won't have to wait another 5 years for the next sequel to be up. 

No comments: