Saturday, September 17, 2011

Never Let Me Go

Ratings: 6.0/10
Film Class: C+
Genre: Drama

Though the poster will almost certainly catch anyone's attention, and with a title like Never Let Me Go, one would think this is a heart warming movie about love. At least from the looks of it, a love triangle perhaps.

Well, if you thought like me, you are only 1/2 right. There's a disturbing plot behind the movie, which doesn't seem to be exposed in any synopsis. I believe the intention was to create suspense, but I would rather "spoil" the suspense for you than to have you go on a ride which may potentially turn you off if you didn't know what it has installed for you. *spoilers ahead*

The movie is vaguely divided into 3 acts. Reminiscence of the movie Full Metal Jacket with 2. It's slow, dialogue driven, and not at all about love. It's about being human. The first scene with the text information might divulge the "true" contents of the movie, but it's not until the end of the first act that you actually know what this movie is truly about.

Narrative style, Carey Mulligan is one of the many kids who was brought up in an English Boarding School, together with Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield (from The Social Network). She brings you from the start of her life, till the end. Though sublimely acted, the movie development and styles were rather dull-like. I might have appreciated it more if I were to read the novel, if I ever bothered to even pick it up in the first place.

I seek the forgiveness of its' fans, but in all defense and honesty, this movie just didn't make it for me. Considering my tolerance for slow-moving movies, and those with subtle contents, this movie falls short compared to most others I've watched. There's really not much to "learn" from this movie or "thought-provoking" about it. It's a watch it, feel it, forget it, kinda movie. Sorry Never Me Go, but I may have to let you go for now.

No comments: