Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Super 8

Ratings: 6.5/10
Film Class: B
Genre: Sci-Fi Mystery

Super 8 is only "super" 6.5. I had a inkling it would turn out to be ET-like, and it did instill that mood throughout the movie. However, while both dabbles with children and another life form, Super 8 is a darker, more adult version of ET. As seen from the trailer, the "creature" has no mercy and is all out to kill.

A train crash in a small town one night was witnessed by a group of friends who were making a short film near the railway. The wrecked container contained an unknown creature which went on the loose... wiping out the townspeople one by one and causing lotsa magnetic disruptions.

While the story was there, gradually unravelling itself, it didn't play much part in synchronising or I would say contribute to the overall feel of the movie. The subplots felt weren't able to draw me deeper into the plot, but felt rather detached from one another. While I'm not fond of watching kids running around and trying to play hero, it was rather refreshing to get out of my comfort zone every once in a while.

The second half of the film started to pick up a better pace which thankfully managed to salvage the slow moving first half of it. The jokes were juvenile-like and the humor came across as pretty lame. It wasn't a great watch, but was decent enough for me. Still, I wouldn't recommend it since I'm positive you'll be better off spending the 2 hours re-watching ET, a much better investment of your time.

No comments: