Friday, June 24, 2011

Green Lantern

Ratings: 8.4/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Superhero Action

In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let all who worship evil's might, beware my power, green lantern's light!! This movie is sheer Oaaa-someness.

A test pilot who barely survived a plane crash is mystically brought forth to a dying guardian of the universe, Abin Sur. Chosen by the mystical green lantern's ring, he is entrusted with the worldly responsibility of protecting the universe with a group of intergalactic guardians called the Green Lantern Corps.

Because I'm fairly unfamiliar with Green Lantern, the movie experience was hands down refreshing and oa-striking. It would seem that Hollywood has introduced a massively growing trend of superhero movies out there with deep storyplots and Green Lantern is just one of them. Of course, not all superhero movies are on the same level with one another, but Green Lantern definitely falls under the more "super" category of its kind.

I personally thought the ending was the most compelling part of it. I for one, didn't see it coming since I'm so conditioned to come up with my own expected endings whenever I watch movies. Although I like to see Ryan Reynold on the big screens, this movie has confirmed one thing... he isn't quite the versatile actor even though he has undoubtedly delivered sublime performances before. It was like seeing a carbon copy of himself all over again... reminiscence of the talented, yet not so versatile Johnny Depp, another of my favourite Hollywood stars.

Blake Lively stole the "lime-green-light" with her stunning beauty. If you compare Green Lantern with Thor, the former is inferior in terms of CG. Yet, Green Lantern didn't fail to get everyone glued to their seats and wished it wouldn't stop rolling. I was disappointed with the runtime even though it's close to 2 hours long but the storyline still felt rushed. I'm sure the DC superhero's fans would've given a standing ovation if it was a 3 hour Lord-of-the-Rings-like experience.

There's basically two main settings for this movie - Earth and the Planet Oa (where the Green Corps reside). That's similar to Thor. But the difference is that there is a larger focus on the Earthly setting for Green Lantern as opposed to Thor. Pardon me for comparing these two films since they share many things in common... superheroes, from another planet, gaining their worth blah blah blah.

I thought the part about why Green Lantern is green and not any other color was pretty cool as well as the basis behind the Villian's power. This movie reminds me of Spider 3, where's there's more than 1 enemy. While most superhero movies stick to just 1 villian to deal with, Green Lantern brings forth 2 villians, one super-human, and the other a godlike-spectre.

*spoilers* I'm more of a fan of Green Lantern now after catching this film and I'm so looking forward to a possible sequel in future (stay back for the mid-credit scene). Green Lantern way exceeds my expectations, and I hope it exceeds yours as well. Go Green! Go watch it and decide yourself!! Cos beware of his power, Green Lantern's Light!!!

No comments: