Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Paul

Ratings: 5.8/10
Film Class: B
Genre: Action Comedy

Two geeky hardcore comic fans travel to US to visit the annual Comic Con exhibition. Planning their route to cover all the UFO hot spots in America, they eventually come head on with a real life alien... Paul. Paul's on the run, and the only way home is through the help of the two unknowing friends.

While I'm a huge fan of Hot Fuzz, this movie didn't work for me. Even though the talented cast reunites, I felt that the script and humor were weak.
The first half of the movie sent shivers of cold humor down my spine, and I forcefully let out short bursts of laughters to set the mood. However, things went a little draggy towards the middle but thankfully, the second half of the movie managed to salvage some grace to it.

For me, genre of such movies would work as long as they have witty humor or script, or as long as there's somewhat of a storyline behind it. Both of which Paul failed to excel in. The story was by far one of the most predictable and the only "twist" in the movie was really unjustifiable. Ie. It didn't make sense. The events that led up to it were inconsistent with the plot.

In essence, I was disappointed. I expected more even though I prep-ed myself for a lame movie. Sorry Paul, but you're no celebrity joker, you're just an excessively vulgar alien on the loose. An out of this world time waster.

No comments: