Friday, April 9, 2010

Clash of the Titans

Rating: 8.2/10
Genre: Fantasy
Overall value for money and time: 8.7/10 (applicable to non-3D only)

CG: 4.5/5
Fantasy: 4.5/5
Script: 3/5
Cast: 4/5
Story: 4/5

Highly underrated film. There was such a huge hype about it before it came out on the big screens and even though I was one of the first few to catch it (just 3 days after it's official opening), I've already heard critiques about how "disappointing" it was. Well, the only 2 disappointments I have was that the 3D version was a total rip off (the majority of the effect was simply the chinese subtitles popping out) and I was disappointed... with the disappointing critiques.

For heaven's sake, what were viewers expecting when they were watching this movie? Clash of the titans is a remake of the 1981 (though I don't recall much of it), about how the mortal son of Zeus embarks on a journey to save man kind for offending the Gods. Hades, had gained permission from his brother, Zeus to "punish" humans for their atrocities, but with an ulterior motive in mind.

I've always been extremely fascinated by Greek Gods and its mythological creatures, such as Medusa, Pegasus, Hydras (though it was only mentioned but not featured) and many others. The Kraken, on the other hand, was rather unfamiliar to me (the name only rings a bell way back when I came across it while playing the card game... "Magic the Gathering".) But it was just.. awesome.... awesomeness of Greek mythology coming to "Life" on the big screens.

I'm so grateful to the director for remaking this movie, with the current state of the art effects, it was able to bring that additional "awe" to the Gods and the creatures. I really liked the cast in this film, with veteran actors such as Liam Neeson as Zeus and Ralph Fiennes as Hades, and the newly popular Sam Worthington (though I thought he did a better job in Terminator Salvation), nothing could go wrong. With the strong performances by the supporting cast, the movie took on a totally new level.

I had a rather bad experience with the 3D effects, my neck was stiff when the credits rolled, and I had a throbbing headache after... still all of that didn't dampen my movie experience one bit, and that's how good the movie was. Though it might seem rather... awkward at the start, a movie about Gods and how they have "human" forms, the motivation of the "war" between the Gods and the humans... the end really tied everything up... and created an ideal closure for such a scenario... leading to where our world is right now, the take on Religions. *spoilers ahead* I liked their take on how God's strengths come from our prayers, and how the Devil's strength comes from our fears; and also how a lack of faith will cause one to fall to the other side. It's similar to Da Vinci Code in some sense... where the closing scripts really made it for me.

And though the Kraken experience was rather shortlived, the whole experience of being in a "time" where Gods roam the earth and where creatures habitated earth together with mankind, was an experience only exclusive in theatres nowdays. I do hope there will be a sequel in future (though there was no promise of it), to bring the other mythological creatures to life!! HooHA!!

No comments: