Monday, January 18, 2010

Handsome Suit

Rating: 7.4/10
Genre: Comedy
Overall value for money and time: 7.6/10

A kind-hearted, yet ugly young chef cum stall owner has never been in a relationship due to his physical looks. Having been rejected since young, his lucky break came one day when a young and pretty lady entered his food stall seeking for a job. However, he was rejected once more when he expressed his feelings towards her. Dejected, a company headhunted him and gave him the opportunity to try out their newest product, "Handsome Suit", which is... self explanatory.

Initially, I thought Handsome Suit was from the same producers of 200 pounds beauty. But realised the former is Japanese and the latter, a korean film. Having watched both, I thought Handsome Suit was way better. This movie gave me a feel-good feeling because of the way it was filmed, felt like some manga-turned real-life movie with a good amount of humour in it. Apart from leaving me laughing uncontrollably at times, it had me falling prey to the very issue it wanted to address, biasness.

I thought I had it all figured out mid-way through the movie only to realise that I was a victim of my own biasness. True, this movie is obviously about inner beauty, but there's a twist in it which is surprisingly mind-opening. And because of that, this movie differentiates itself from other senseless comedies.

*Spoilers ahead* I didn't like the pre-ending scene where he stood on stage and expressed his true feelings... because it felt like it was plagiaristic of 200 pounds beauty. But because of everything else, it felt forgivable. Thus, for anyone who wants to catch a cheery feel-good movie, this will surely brighten up your day!!

No comments: