Monday, January 18, 2010

Bangkok Dangerous

Rating: 7.5/10
Genre: Action
Overall value for money and time: 7.5/10

As a rule of thumb, any movie with Nicholas Cage in it will never fall under "total flop", and this movie once again backs this up. A hitman is on his last assigment in Bangkok where he breaks his own rules and soon questions the meaning of his very existence.

I'm disappointed with the low ratings this movie received, though I can understand where it's coming from. This movie didn't appeal that much to me at first, one of the only reasons it called out for me to give it a try was because Nicholas Cage was starring in it. First off, the poster... it feels gloomy and cheap production-like. Secondly, the title itself.. "Bangkok Dangerous" adds salt to the wounds... feels like an even cheaper production. Whenever you put a Hollywood star into a setting like Bangkok, it is almost doomed for failure (bad experience I got from the movie Push). But the director did pull it off, and it ironically enhanced the movie...

The technical difficulties, the rawness of the film, the narration of the hitman throughout the movie as if you were living his life, the action sequences, and most importantly the ending, were all plus points for this movie. I especially liked the ending, one of the coolest I've experienced for a while. I'm not sure if it's dejavu, but the ending felt somewhat familiar to me, either way, I still loved it.

The minus points for this movie would probably be those I've already mentioned, that it creates a bad first impression for most movie-goers, but I'm sure after giving this movie a try, you won't regret it. One of the coolest and rawest hitman movies I've seen so far...

No comments: