Monday, December 28, 2009

Star Trek

Rating: 8.1/10
Genre: Sci-Fi
Overall value for money and time: 7.9/10

You don't need to be a Star Trek fan to appreciate a movie like this. Even though there's a long history of the Star Trek series, this is a stand-alone, comprehen-sive, seat-gripping prequel which will appeal to sci-fi and non-sci-fi fans alike. Trust me, since I'm no fan of Star Wars or Star Trek.

Personally, this movie was able to win my heart more than any previous Star Wars movies. Of course, it's not a fair comparison. But I haven't caught any Star Trek movies before, because somehow, they never did quite appeal to me as much as Star Wars did. Until this movie came along, I would never have bothered to take a second look at Star Trek. To sum it up, this movie is good enough to create a fan out of any sceptics out there.

I have to give all the credit to the actors and especially to the director for delivering and reviving such a sci-fi classic to the younger audience. A good balance of crude humor, cool CG, character as well as plot development. To view it objectively, this movie will easily fall under the top 10 movies of 2009... which I would be counting down very soon (right after my post on probably the last movie I'll catch this year, Sherlock Holmes).

Set in a time where humans worked under the Federation to explore outer space and supposedly bring peace to all. However, this is threatened by a vengeful space renegade by the name of Nero who wants to destroy the planets which belong to the very ones who were the cause of his misery.

No comments: