Monday, August 3, 2009

Public Enemies

Rating: 7.0/10
Genre: Crime
Overall value for money and time: 7.1/10

Highly anticipated, yet a highly disappointing movie. With a star studded cast like Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, what could go wrong? You have to watch it to find it out yourself.

Based on a crime wave in 1930s, an elite crime fighter, Christian Bale leads a team to bring down the most notorious crime lord at that time, John Dillinger, played by Johnny Depp. We see the downfall of Johnny Depp, from "hero" to "zero" and the rise and obsession of Christian Bale as he hunts Dillinger down.

It felt similar to American gangster, but the tension was far inferior to the former. Both actors excelled in the film, but the plot was too dialogued driven with little motivation to sit through them. It ended pretty abruptly, leaving you with an anti climaxal feeling and at the end of the movie, left me thinking to myself... wow... it's either too abstract, or too crappy. After putting much thought into it, I'm still clueless about the ending scene. Until someone enlightens me, I'll stick to my opinion that the ending was what killed the movie. Somewhat reminded me of Jean Luc-Godard's Breathless, which I caught during my film fiction class...

Still watchable though, this 2.5hr film may or may not work for you. The camera work is "raw" and the plot is just enough to keep you at the back of your seats, until the rolling of the ending credits that is.

No comments: