Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Arrival

Ratings: 9.2/10
Film Class: A-
Genre: Sci-Fi Thriller

Wow (palindrome). Time out! Time out! My mind was blown! Though not as mind******* as Interstellar, Arrival brings the same flair of intellect to the big screens. It has been a while for a movie of this caliber to be produced, and has "forced" me out of my shadows to once again start blogging. I cannot just not recommend this. If I had known the outcome, I would still have watched it...

Arrival is about 12 spacecrafts which landed in different parts of planet Earth. Not knowing what the intention is, the US military engaged a linguistic professor's help (Amy Adams). Last I recalled, I haven't seen her in such a solemn role yet, until this movie of course. Racing against time, and other countries to break the "language" barrier, Amy Adams must use whatever weapon she can conjure, to avoid a World War with aliens. 

The chemistry of the 2 leads (+ Jeremy Renner) was electric, and the director was way too generous with the tension build up - could only take a breather at the very last scene. It's one of the few times I can literally say I was constantly at the edge of my seat, together with the eerie soundtrack, Arrival felt like a spooky alien horror movie. It was smart too, not just with the use of linguistics (deciphering of a new language) but how the overall concept links with an important element which makes it logical.

Initially I thought the opening melancholy scene was rather short, lack of character build up, lack of audiences' sentimental investment, but then I understood why. Without divulging too much, though with minimal action scenes, Arrival is sure to impress most of its audience, especially Sci-Fi fans. 

Go watch it! It's a win-win situation, it's gonna be a zero-sum game ultimately.

No comments: