Monday, March 9, 2015

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water

Rating: 7.3/10
Film Class: A
Genre: Animated Comedy

The spongebob goofy gooberism is simply off the aquatic scale of lame. The jokes are bold, original and diversified. There's in your face, as well as subtle you-might-miss-it-if-you-blink humor. *spoilers ahead* I missed the "Davy Jones Book Checkout" joke, it wasn't until my friend pointed it out to me post-movie that made me vaguely recall seeing his name during that particular scene...

The Krusty Krabby Patty's secret formula was stolen by a cunning human pirate, acted by Anotonio Banderas. As a result, the whole of Bikini Bottom (aquatic world that the Spongebob characters live in) enters an apocalytic state. It's up to Spongebob and his unlikely alliance with all-time villain Plankton to find the secret formula and bring peace back to Bikini Bottom. Be prepared for a little superhero Spongebob action!

*major spoilers ahead* What I like about Spongebob movies is that because it's so lame, there's always an unexpected plot twist. The plot doesn't run logically linear, instead, it just shoots at you with psychedelic time travelling music, talking dolphins, a rap duel, spastic tyre bullying, and a most memorable piano jamming scene. You could even change the fate of the characters by changing the text on a page. What the fish?!

There was no insult to my intelligence because thankfully I went prepared. I gave my brains a day off, and what I got in return, was a money-wasting mental rollercoaster ride of fun. For most parts, I didn't have to pretend to laugh, I actually did. While it could be more worthwhile to get the DVD or Blu-Ray, watching an animated movie with realistic live-cartoon scenes on the big screen makes it somewhat less of a rip-off but more of a worthwhile movie experience.

No comments: