Monday, June 9, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Ratings: 7.3/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Whimsical Comedy

Wes Anderson's film style doesn't follow the conventional Hollywood films, if you don't already know. I know of many of his movies, yet have only seen, perhaps 2. This, and the Fantastic Mr Fox. His use of bright colors for every single freaking scene is bold, yet refreshing. The use of whimsical songs lighten up the mood, and the scripting is pure genius - elaborately subtle, the funny serious type. However, I wouldn't exactly say this is a light hearted movie, and at the end of it, it feels quite... with the lack of a less offending word, meaningless. 

I guess you either worship him, or are impressed by him. I'm the latter sort. It's impressive alright, but not the kind of movie which I fancy. Despite having many of my favourite stars, especially Ralph Fiennes, I couldn't feel the movie - all I was treated to, was an entertaining delight of colors, star-studded cast and cutsy music. 

Ralph Fiennes star as Gustave, a legendary concierge in charge of The Grand Budapest Hotel. There's a new lobby boy, who eventually becomes his most trusted friend, and together, they journey through adventures of corruption, prison-breaks and assassinations. This is the story of how his lobby boy, came to own the Grand Budapest Hotel... 

I would recommend this, not for the plot, but for the cinematic genius and entertainment value. It's in a class of its own - cheesily classy. 

No comments: