Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods


Ratings: 6.8/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Horror Suspense

Despite the raving reviews about the ingenuity of the plot, this movie didn't wow me. It irritated me initially, because I've always hated "cheap scares" and The Cabin in the Woods uses it all the time. No suspense build up, just pure sudden loud sounds and abrupt visual pop-ups. Especially the introduction of the title, that was way unnecessary... 

*major spoilers ahead* The plot, is indeed quite unique and original, but felt like a remake of a video game. A group of friends stay over at a remote cabin, supposedly bought over by one of the leads' cousin, only to find themselves haunted by the supernatural. Unknowing to them, the chain of events is orchestrated by a group of observers. 

The story build up is fast paced, and the "lucky" folks didn't have to stay tortured for long. They get wiped out fast, probably a little too fast for my liking. The cabin isn't the main scene, the scene is what happens after... the real motive behind the chain of events. 

The plot spirals into the realm of the bizarre when they voluntarily walk into their own graves, pun intended. You'll have to watch the movie to understand what I mean. After that, you'll be led into a whole new world of your greatest fears, which you'll either love, or hate. 

It's an interesting one this is, but it didn't shock me of my senses. Who knows, given a little more time, I might actually grow to like it. But right now, I'll say the overall film felt rather cheesy for me. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read several different reviews and they range from great to horrible, but very few in between. I was talking about this movie with my co-worker from DISH, and we both want to see this movie despite the reviews. I am a horror fan, and from most of the reviews I’ve read if you are not into horror films this movie will not work for you. I added this movie to my Blockbuster @home DVD queue; the shipping is fast, and I can return this to the store when I’m done for another movie in my queue. I think this movie will work for the long weekend and cold weather coming up.