Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wrath of the Titans

Ratings: 6.2/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Action Fantasy

I was so hyped when the sequel for Clash of the Titans came out yesterday, 29 March 2012. While the 2010 Clash of the Titans was a remake, Wrath of the Titans is a "new" movie altogether. I didn't set my expectations too high cos I could easily identify "overly packaged and publicized" movies which always seemed to lack good plots. I desperately wanted to catch it on its premiere becos of the mythological creatures which I've always been fascinated since young (greatly influenced by the video game Heroes of Might and Magic). The Greek Gods, the mythological creatures and the awesome (not all the time though) special effects were well worth my 100 mins.  

However, while I didn't regret catching it, I sure thought the movie was pretty bad. The plot was weak (which I already expected), the scripting was choppy and "san tiao xian-ing (3 lines)", and the way the scenes flowed... were like a mixture of fresh water, sea water, and sullage water. No link... no synchroneity, the entire movie felt extremely "forced". 

The Greek Gods, Hades (Banished God of the underworld, brother to Zeus) and Ares (son of Zeus) conspire against Zeus (does he need any introduction?) to capture him so that they could "revive" and "unleash" the captive Kronos, father of Zeus and Hades. The outcome of doing so? Don't ask me... ask the director! I'm sure Ralph Fiennes (Hades) and Edgar Ramirez (Ares) don't even have a clue why they're doing so. Perhaps they were sick of being Godly and wants Kronos to destroy every single thing in the world so that they could be lonely Gods.

Newaz, the weak plot aside, the cast, though top notch with Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Sam Worthington and Bill Nightly acting in it, fell flat, epicly flat. I felt that somehow, none of them "rised above normal". There's only so much great actors could do with bad scripting, bad direction and bad development - they do their best to entertain the audience at the expense of making a fool of themselves...

There were Minotaurs, Cyclops, Chimeras, Dopplegangers? and Pegasus, all of which didn't fail to "light" up the screen. The CG was the only success in this film... the rest were a letdown in titan-ic proportions.

No comments: