Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Rating: 7.2/10
Film Class: B+
Genre: Fantasy

Personally, I'm not a fan of Narnia. The first two installations were so-so... and so was this. The overall feel is pretty kidish to me, not that I'm that matured but typically this kinda genre doesn't appeal to me. With no intention to offend anyone, I think Narnia and Harry Potter movies are quite similar in fashion, Just that Harry Potter is like the juvenile version of Lord of the Rings whilst Narnia is like the juvenile version of Clash of the Titans.

Lucy and Edmund are brought back to Narnia with their cousin Eustace to stop an evil from manifesting. They have to bring 7 swords to Aslan's sacred table before its too late. And the dawn treader is Prince Caspian's ship by which they embark their journey on.

I shan't divulge too much about the storyline, but was quite impressed by how adult the content of the movie was. Adult meaning abstract and not *ahem*. I didn't like the cast at all, I thought generally most of them didn't bring out their relevant roles but quite frankly, I was impressed by the new addition... the irriating and grumpy Eustace (whose name sounded like "useless" which generated several giggles every now and then). I thought he was the only one who acted surprisingly well, makes you hate him and love him at the same time.

I love the ending "pet" talk by Aslan to the children... and the ending scene was really "beautiful" in its own standing. With many subtle references, I can only urge audiences to really think about the skilfully crafted settings, words and character flaws in this movie. Isn't exceptional, but overall, good stuff. Of its 3 installations, this certainly ranks number 1 even though they were only snippets of the other 2 leads in the first 2 prequels.

No comments: