Saturday, March 20, 2010

All About Steve

Rating: 7.7/10
Genre: Comedy
Overall value for time and money: 7.5/10

Exceling in what she does, creating crossword puzzles for a daily newspaper and reaching out to many readers, a passionate crossword constructor found herself losing her job when she set eyes for a guy during a blind date her parents set up for her, as a result of creating a crossword puzzle... all about steve, a puzzle that no one could solve.

She thought of giving herself a break and started stalking Steve around the region, a CNN cameraman, convinced that they were perfect for each other. Led on blindly by Steve's colleagues, she gradually finds herself in outrageously difficult yet hilarious situations.

I was disappointed by the reviews online about this hidden gem. I was even more disappointed when I came to know Sandra Bullock won the "worst actress" for the "Razzie" award, an award I haven't heard of though. Sandra Bullock was perfect in this movie, I believe no one else could do it as well as she did. There are some Hollywood stars which have been stuck with roles which give them their "personality". Such as Sandra Bullock, smart yet bimbolic. Johnny Depp, we think eccentric. Vincent Zhao, Kung Fu master, so on and so forth...

Sandra Bullock has been cast as a smart yet bimbolic-like character in many movies, Miss Congeniality, The Proposal and this movie, All about Steve. And she has never failed any of the movies. A versatile actress, stunning and convincing me after her role in The Lake House, where she had to take on a more serious role, yet still exceling in it.

Enough said about her acting performance, though I'm not a fan of hers, I might be after this review. What this movie lacked was the romantic element in it. Note that the genre isn't romantic comedy, like most others, how they liked to fuse these 2 genres together, but this movie had almost naught romantic "aw" scenes in it. In fact, the ending left the romance hanging quite abruptly.

Still, that was probably the only downside of this movie. I enjoyed it because of the hilarious scenes, and especially, the content. I was pleasantly surprised by the content of this movie as I thought it was gonna be just another slapstick comedy. "Wow", was my reaction after the credits rolled. Though the situations were rather ridiculous, little too exagerrated, the takehome message was heartwarming and it was what made this movie for me.

No comments: