Monday, February 9, 2009

Bride Wars

Rating: 5.4/10
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Overall value for money and time: 6..0/10

My ratings for this movie will probably offend many female viewers, but I find it hard to pretend it was more than just an average movie when it was utterly disappointing for me. This is one of those movies that will appeal more to the female audience, probably because it touches on topics such as love, and marriage... For someone who isn't even a fan of such movies in the 1st place, I have to admit I'm harsh on this critique. The humour was too cheesy for me, unintelligent, and I had to force myself to laugh at most scenes. The plot was predictable, when two life long best friends became enemies because they had their wedding days planned on the same day by mistake. Their wedding day meant so much to them that they were all out to make that important day more miserable for the other party.... and in the end realised how foolish they were, reunited and were best friends again. Personally, I think movies with predictable story lines should either have outstanding acting on the actors' and actresses' part or that the lines should be of substance (be it humour or just normal conversations). This movie only had a little of the first point. A movie not worth your time watching. My curiosity confirmed my judgement of movies, that is when I think the movie blows on first sight, it probably would. The scenarios by which the best friends created chaos for each other was unrealistic and far-fetched. They portrayed an aura of massive childishness... as if there were two 5 year olds stuck in the bodies of twenty-year-old ladies. However, there was a line in the movie which barely saved this movie .... and it was the conversation exchanged between Anne Hathway and her husband-to-be towards the end of the movie. But the movie is not worth watching to find out... that's why I will save you the agony of sitting through this slapstick comedy. She said to him that he was in love with the "past" her, and even though both of them felt like it was no longer meant to be, they still held on cause of their "commitments". I think this is an interesting point which applies in many long term relationships. It shouldn't take a marriage for you to finally come in terms with that reality. When you feel like it won't work out, then it's time to let go.

No comments: